M'impressiona la fredor amb què els personatges mercadegen amb la vida humana, i converteixen l'honor i la lleialtat en manaments religiosos, l'herència del comandament que acaba caient en un fill que no volia saber res dels negocis familiars, però que ho porta a les venes, i el germà gran que havia de ser l'hereu mor per la seva visceralitat i falta de visió panoràmica que ha de tenir un Don.
La frase que titula aquest post apareix infinitat de vegades a la pel·lícula. No és personal, només són negocis. Collons, sí! Que li diguin al que li acaben de fotre una bala al cervell! La història i els personatges semblen inversemblants, però sabem que no ho són. Aquestes coses passaven, i continuen passant. I si no mireu el que va passar fa uns dies a Madrid.
- Well, when Johnny was first starting out, he was signed to this personal service contract with a big band leader. And as his career got better and better, he wanted to get out of it. Now, Johnny is my father's godson. And my father went to see this band leader, and he offered him $10,000 to let Johnny go. But the band leader said no. So the next day, my father went to see him; only this time with Luca Brasi. And within an hour, he signed a release, for a certified check for $1,000.
- How'd he do that?
- My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
- What was that?
- Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains -- or his signature -- would be on the contract.
- Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
- My wife is crying upstairs. I hear cars coming to the house. Consiglieri of mine, I think you should tell your Don what everyone seems to know...
- Ah, I didn't tell Mama anything. I was about to come up and wake you just now and tell you...
- But you needed a drink first.
- Well, now you've had your drink.
- They shot Sonny on the Causeway. He's dead.
- I want -- all inquiries made. I want no acts of vengeance. I want you to arrange a meeting,with the heads of the Five Families. This war stops now.